Saturday 28 August 2010

The Early Days....

Cut my teeth in the taxi trade in the office, answering the phones and giving out the jobs..On each six hour shift you would fluctuate from public enemy to drivers best friend.,.all goes to prove you can't please all the people all of the time.
I found myself in among a group of grumpy, cynical, hardened Hackney drivers and a couple of oddball operators...I  found myself batting off accusations of being biased and ' bent ' accepting favours in exchange for giving out good jobs...this was never the case, although it became a source of fun going along with one or two of the drivers....
Some of the names the drivers gave each other were amusing ,,,Pig Man..Rabbit Man...Poison Dwarf...Shovel Hands...to name a few..
It wouldn't be long before I could recognise each of the drivers voices...and many of the customers on the phone too...
' Taxi Drivers ' I was told were people who ' couldn't fit in or conform ' in a proper job...How right they were and after a year I aspired to be one of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment